The Hong Kong King Kongs

For Chatting about the WAFL2020 League
maloffel

The Hong Kong King Kongs

Post by maloffel »

2025 Offseason Rundown

We came in to the offseason with the primary objective to resign many key starters that were on the last year of their contract. We also had 2 starters C Kim Shannon and RCB Phil Terrell that were UFA.

Offseason roster moves:

- Kim Shannon had been with the team since the beginning of the league so I attempted to sign him despite his age because I thought he still might have a good chance to start and provide cohesion to the O-Line. However he decided to sign with Dublin which created a hole at C in the depth chart that needed to be filled.

- Phil Terrell was signed to a 3 year deal in 2022 as a free agent. he posted 8 INTs and a PD% of roughly 81.31 in his 3 yrs with us, however I felt we had the depth to not need to risk a possible drop in production due to age, we decided to not pursue him in FA.

- Jason June was a solid QB for us the last 2 seasons but unfortunately for him Conner Joseph dropped to us at 1.10 in the 2024 draft so June was sent to Wall Street for the 2.4 and 4.4 in this years draft. I'll be keeping an eye out and hope he does well for them, I would have liked for him to succeed here but it just was not in the cards.

- Key resignings:
LG Lorenzo O'Pope - 27.07/4yrs
TE Al Enis - 11.4/4yrs
WR Grady Stargell - 20.71/3yrs
DE Carlton Bahn - 20.21/4yrs
RB Clyde Knight - 4.83/2yrs
MLB Eric Gow - 19.22/4yrs
OLB Corwin Booker - 50.56/4yrs
SS Irv Abah - 20.55/3yrs
WR Jeremiah Burton - 48.01/4yrs
LT Sebastian Hughes - 40/4yrs
DT Kai Martin - 32/4yrs
DT Henry Benton - 31.37/4yrs

with 10 out of 22 starters and some key depth pieces resigned, we began to address the holes recently left at CB, C, and K.

We signed K Terrence Dennis to 18mil/3yrs we felt it was necessary to maybe shell out a little extra for K than we normally would given the extra cash we had on hand and knowing we were returning most of our starters from last season.

S Silas Schultz signed 18.62/3yrs and converted to CB. His coverage bars are solid at all 3 aspects and also solid run defense so he will fill in nicely as a good RCB or slot corner option.

I did make some offers at C but decided not to pursue free agents too aggressively with the intention of addressing the O-Line in the draft.

Draft Day:

1.18 CB Jacob Maxwell 5'10" 186lbs 55/72 (league scout: 53/68) may have made a big mistake passing on Myron Alexander who was also available here but Maxwell looks like he should hold up nicely and will plug in immediately to what is now a very good defensive backfield with lots of options.

2.4 (via WST) RG Jorge Kauffman 6'1" 316lbs 44/70 (league scout: 36/70) solid piece for the O-Line that will likely sit on the bench this season barring injury but will eventually become a starter.

2.17 OLB Rich Blades 6'1" 248 39/69 (league scout: 33/78) might drop in preseason but he was worth taking a shot on, ultimately I just needed another body at LB but if his bars hold up he will be a nice addition.

3.16 WR Avery Bridges 5'11" 186lbs 40/58 (league scout: 35/47) moved up a little in TC and flashing boom potential. WR was not a position of need for starters or depth this year but he was just too good to pass up at 3.16 and now looking like he will be a starter for us this year.

3.19 (via LVS) S Carter Grant 5'11" 208lbs 29/59 (league scout: 27/58) moved to CB to suit his bars and size. another solid piece for the secondary likely wont see major time until 2026.

4.4 (via WST) C Austin Anthony 6'6" 306lbs 35/68 (league scout: 31/70) likely to start for us at C this season and the rest of his career.

4.18 traded to Dublin for their next year 4th

5.17 TE Devonte Watkins 6'0" 257lbs 21/39 (league scout: 18/39) needed a depth piece at TE which is what he is, but also decent RR and Run Blocking so he works as a very bare bones TE.

6.16 OLB Wally Purcell 6'1" 248 30/53 (league scout: 23/50) really solid LB with the bars that I tend to look for, good RDef and ZDef

7.17 LT Cornell Banks 6'4" 302 9/40 (league scout: 6/51) another depth piece just to fill out the O-Line, I like to Keep 2 C, 4 G, and 4 T, if I can. I expect he will likely make the team this year and be cut next year.

Notable undrafted rookie: WR Winston Beckett 5'11" 190 25/44 (league scout: 21/37) he has potential to unseat someone and make this team especially if he "plays well" (pops) in preseason.
Last edited by maloffel on Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OSFL - Brooklyn Hitmen GM since 2057

WAFL - Hong Kong King Kongs Founding GM
Murph

Re: The Hong Kong King Kongs

Post by Murph »

Where do you see the league scout ratings?

Re: The Hong Kong King Kongs

Post by maloffel »

Murph I sent an IM on slack to answer your question, hope that helps!

2025 season Outlook:

All around I am really happy with the team this year. We have a good defense, O-Line, and offensive skill positions. However since this will be QB Conner Joseph's first year starting and given the rough division we are in, I will be surprised if we end the season with a winning record.

We are going to look to lean on our run game and hope that our O-Line carries us to victory. I project we will land somewhere between 6-10 and 9-7.
OSFL - Brooklyn Hitmen GM since 2057

WAFL - Hong Kong King Kongs Founding GM