2025 Dublin Irishmen

For Chatting about the WAFL2020 League
Murph

2025 Dublin Irishmen

Post by Murph »

Well, as a new owner I have decided to make this team my team. My name is Patrick Francis Murphy and I'm not the first in my family. Let's just say I'm past Jr. So I wanted a team that reflects a little of who I am. My first thought was the Killarney Blarneystones. Nah. Then I thought Cork Leprechauns. But I'm tall, not at all a leprechaun, haha. Shamrocks didn't work for me either. So, finally I chose the Irish capital city of Dublin to be our new home base. To make things easy, I just chose Irishmen to be our new identity. Hard workers and hard players (especially when it comes to whiskey) are what the Irish are most known for, so I thought that would be a good name, something to strive for.

So, we are now the Dublin Irishmen.

Our next step is to evaluate our talent. We start, obviously, with our staff. For about 5 seconds, I literally thought about roleplaying this instead of playing to win. But I have a competitive spirit so I didn't go that way. If I had, I would have all coaches with an Irish name (if I could find them). When I did staff renegotiations, I really didn't know how things worked in the game, and so I made some mistakes. First mistake was just not understanding things and deciding what was important to me for each position. Because of this, I lost probably one of the best defensive coordinators in the league by not resigning him when I should have. He got picked up by someone else, even though I thought I still had him for another season. Learned something new.

So we start out by saying goodbye to Dylan Monroe. If you say a coach's bars are from 1-100, all his bars are over 50, so he's actually a good coach. Unfortunately, we didn't play well with him as our head coach. He was with us 6 years, 3 as head coach and 3 as offensive coordinator. Our best season was 8-8. We expect more, so we went searching for a new head coach. We find Jumbo Kaplan. He had 3 years as assistant coach for Rome. Rome has improved each of the last 3 seasons, so we feel Kaplan has what it takes to help a team improve. I like that he is good with young talent, as we plan on infusing this team with some young talent. He's also got good motivation and discipline, which is also important in teaching the young players how to become professionals. Finally, he's a good interviewer, which should help us nail down some solid draft picks, again, trying to bring in some young, valuable players.

We had a pretty good OC in Shane Koethe. However, he is an Air Coryell guy, and that's just not my style. I prefer a more balanced style of offense. Add to that the fact that our offensive makeup right now is basically a few good running backs, and you'll see we have to find a offensive coordinator that is willing to run more. I looked mostly at Smashmouth and Balanced guys, but couldn't find one I really liked. Because we were drafting 24th each round, we lost out on some guys we wanted, but we ended up getting a West Coast guy in Shawn Cimellaro. We hope to find a franchise QB in the upcoming draft and he is good with QBs, plus he's a strong play caller with good player development skills. He's also the oldest member of our new staff at 59 and seems to have trouble working with the young guys (not good with young talent, scouting, or interviewing). We'll see how our offense performs this year and reevaluate this spot after the season.

DC is where we messed things up. We had a good DC in Brayden Abrams. We didn't resign him, and he got signed away by Montreal. One of the pitfalls of FOF in general is this Staff Draft thing and as a 1-15 team, our income is poor and we draft far down the list. Wish it was more like real life in that it's a free agent market not a draft... but you have to play the game by the rules you are given. So we get Monty Erickson, former Hannover DC. I expected to get new Hannover DC Torello, but I'm happy with Erickson, who I have graded slightly better than Torello. I love the fact that Erickson is only 34, and will probably get better as he ages. He's a solid play caller, he's really good with young talent and development, and he's also above average when it comes to scouting/interviewing.

Finally, we pick up Mack Shank as our new assistant coach. More than anything else, I was looking for a younger guy who could work with our WR group in our new West Coast style offense. Shank is young and a solid all around coach, with no weaknesses. in fact, if Cimellaro has trouble this season, we could see Shank as our new offensive coordinator next season.

We keep strength coordinator Corey Goods around. He's young, great at bringing guys back who are injured, and is solid in preventing injuries. Being young (39), we are hoping he improves his injury prevention skills.

Re: 2025 Dublin Irishmen

Post by Murph »

Next up, franchise, free agency, and the draft.

We have no player we are interested in putting the franchise tag on. We considered CB Nixon, but he is only good at one thing (he's REALLY, REALLY good), and I don't want to pay over $13M for a guy who can't bump and run, and who is subpar at ball hawking. If he had a good second skill and some endurance... maybe.

So we'll go into free agency with $90M available to build our team. I'm also evaluating talent and looking to see who can be traded. Will post a trade block by the end of this week.

Post by Murph »

Free Agency.
Week 1.
- CB Asher Farr, resigned for $40M over 5 years. He's looking like our #1 CB for, hopefully, the next 5 seasons.
- RB Marty Farrell, DE Henry Brinkow, DT Gregory Franz, and LB Edgar Kenfield all turned down our initial offers.

Week 2.
- DT Gregory Franz, resigned for $27.1M over 4 years. Solid guy able to shore up the run defense, so looking forward to having him around for a while.
- DE Henry Brinkow. Resigned for $40M over 5 years. Looks like he could be a really good player, but I only saw him while he played injured the last few games of the year.
- MLB Edgar Kenfield. Resigned for $14.74M over 3 years. Solid all around LB, who had 130 tackles and 9 Passes Defended last season. Pretty solid fit in my defense.
- RB Marty Farrell still won't sign. I gave him almost what he asked for, and he still said no. I think Week 3 is my last opportunity to sign him.

As I said in my trading block, I really don't know values of players here. I think that's obvious with my offer to CB Ernest DeLay. I offered $12M a year, and I didn't like it that much. He walked away with $20M per year. (My 3 re-signings were less than that combined) I wasn't even close on that deal. I guess you have to spend to win, and I hate spending, but Hannover got two of the top free agents spending $36M a year total on just two players. I just can't see myself putting 15% of my payroll into two players on a 53 man roster. I think I'm really going to have to change my thought processes if I want to make this team a winning team. I know one thing very clearly... I have a LOT of learning to do here. Good luck me.

Week 3.
- RB Marty Farrell finally signs a $7.3M, 3 year deal. That's good because we have special plans for our entire RB group.
- DE Andres Bryja signs for $8M over 2 years, even though Rome made a $15.23M, 3 year offer. I guess he wanted the shorter contract.
- C Marco Wheeler turned down our $12M, 4 year deal to resign with Miami at a significant 'hometown' price of $9.15M over 4 years. Could have been the starter for the mighty Irishmen ;)
- Moved FS Bradley Glass from FS to SS. He's going to back up Newman so I thought I'd just move him to that position.

Not much happening... draft is stalled... I'm bored. Let's see what happens in week 4.

Week 4.
- G Gregory Lester signed a $36.06M contract for 4 years with Cardiff. I offered $28M over 4 years. JUST a bit outside.

Nothing new happening.

Week 5.
- OLB Maurice Davidson. $44.48M for 4 years. I have a ton of cash to spend, so I overspent on an OLB. I had basically NO OLBs that fit my defense, so getting Davidson was big for us. Defense is coming together. I just need more offensive talent. Not having a 1st next season means I'm going to have to trade to upgrade enough to become competitive, unless Wells becomes a big hit right away (chance of that... slim to none).

Week 6.
- LS Ronnie Compton FINALLY signs with us taking a 2 year, $3.8M contract. It's nice to have all this money floating around to spend :)
- T Ed Evans signs a 2 year deal worth $6.9M. Overpaid a little, but I've got the cash right now. Should add depth to my offensive line.

Week 7.
- C Kim Shannon signed for $6.41M over 2 years. Really needed a center. Now I'll have to draft a young one to hopefully take over in 2 seasons when this contract is up.

Week 8.
- CB Hector Lake signed for $14M over 4 years. Was looking for a guy that could play nickel back for us. I hope Lake will be that guy.
- OLB Miguel Anderson signed for 2 years at just under $1M a year. Will be a special teamer. Maybe a miracle will happen and he'll boom. Probably not, but needed depth at OLB, and I'm very poor there currently.

Week 9.
- RB Landon Jurkiewicz signed with Galway for 2 years, $2.05M. Just a sign of my super cheapness that he got away from me. I made an offer back in Week 3, and never upgraded it because no one seemed interested. I almost upgraded in Week 8, but, we are a half empty league and no one seemed interested. I have almost $40M laying around, and I was too cheap to add another half million to the deal. DAMN. I need a GM to loosen the purse strings a little!

Week 10.
- QB Will Baxter signs a 2 year, $6.88M contract to be Wells' new mentor. Was going to give up 6.1 for a mentor until I ran across this guy. I hope his two years with Wells will make a difference in the kid's career.

Week 11. 6 Free agent signings.
- WR Miguel Mobley signs for 1 year, $1.25M. Picked him up for his special teams skill. Pluses are his route running and big play ability. 8 WRs on the TC roster, not even sure he'll play or make the team.
- S Harrison Hedges, 2 years, $3.53M. Another special teams guy, who also has some decent bars (run defense and interceptions come to mind). Nice late FA pickup if he makes the team.
- P Lamar Springer, 2 years, $6M. Signed to be a kick holder as well as punter. Didn't know I'd be drafting a punter also. Going to be fun to see what happens at punter.
- RB Shannon Wehmeyer, 2 years, $1.65M. Picked him up in case I couldn't get a RB in the draft. Not sure he'll make the team.
- ILB Drew Kellingberger, 3 years, $5.79M. Decent bars and good special teams. I think he has a good chance to make the team and be a special teams player.
- TE Keith Pasquarella, 2 years,$3.28M. Picked him up because he just looked too good not to. Don't know how the TE situation will work out, but I hope he finds a way to make the team.

Been a good free agency, overall. I feel like I've improved the team in FA. That's all I can expect.
Last edited by Murph on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post by Murph »

Draft.
First Round.
- With the first pick in the draft, we choose... QB Leon Wells based solely on his Very Underrated rating through the interview process. Honestly, if I thought Renken (Overrated by my coaches) would be available in the second round, I would have picked a different position and took him in the 2nd. He was my favorite QB in this draft. But, I have to trust my newly hired coaches...

- At 1.23, we choose CB Myron Alexander. We felt he was a top ten pick, and when he fell to the mid teens we started working to find a trade partner. Many people will think we overpaid for this pick by trading 2.1 AND our 1st next season. However, we were willing to overpay to get a top 10 talent in the draft. My coach likes Maxwell better at CB, but with the amazing combines I am happy to have Alexander. I think we won't really know the extent to which I overpaid until Alexander reaches his peak.

No pick in the 2nd round, as we traded our 2.1 pick to move up to 1.23 for Alexander.

- At 3.1, we choose G Tony Quinn. Quinn had a very good combine, and looks to be an excellent blocker. The only issues I have with him are his endurance and size. I am considering moving him to Center. I will see how the rest of the draft and free agency goes before I make that decision. His size is a closer fit to Center than Guard, and I have 5 tackles, so I could move one to Guard if I needed to.

- 4.1 pick is C Gavin Sutter. We need some young blood at the position, but also needed a Guard. Sutter is closer to Guard size than Quinn, so I will likely move Sutter to G and Quinn to C. His run and pass blocking bars look good, and he has blue forty (run blocking) and red agility (pass blocking), plus he had a good sole which is important to me for offensive linemen. I think he and Quinn will be able to to bring a fresh infusion of young talent that should help us in the future.

- 4.18 pick is OLB Ethan Leicester. We are trying to trade OLB Reese, and we wanted to get a guy that could play OLB if we do trade him. While probably not starting material, he should be a competent backup. His big weakness, an important one, is his Play Diagnosis even though he had a blue Sole. He has 4 blue combines, which should support his bars for the most part.

From this point, we still have a few holes in the roster, but we'll likely go for best player or best special teamer available.

- 5.1, FB Julian Peterson. We have a FB. We don't need a FB. But Peterson was far and away the best player left on the board, in my opinion. 6 great combines, plus the added bonus of great looking Special Teams. And, maybe, I'll test him out at RB. Since I made the mistake of changing one player (RB to WR), maybe I need to do it again to clean up the mess I created.

- 6.1, P Marquis Tirman. 2nd best punter in the draft, behind Porter. Our Punter, Perez, is getting older (33). Tirman will likely take over for Perez as long as he doesn't have a TERRIBLE training camp. Really wasn't looking for a punter, but Tirman was too good to pass up at this spot.

- 7.1, RB Eric Gaines. Didn't really expect a RB, then I saw Gaines with his 5 blue combines and 99 volatility. Two ways to improve! I just wish he had some special teams... Not much in the way of bars, but we'll see what we can do with him through Training Camp.

Overall, pretty happy with this draft. Still think Renken was the best QB in the draft. I don't think Wells will be a franchise like QB, but hopefully he can be good enough to start for many years for this team. I don't want to have to keep trying to grab a franchise QB year after year :) With my first pick ever for the Irishmen being questionable, I really believe I made up for it most of the rest of the draft. Got a top 10 (maybe even top 5) player at 1.23. Got possible offensive line starters in the 3rd and 4th. Got a top notch FB and P in the 5th and 6th. And took a gamble in the 7th. The only other questionable pick is Leicester. I think he's a 4th or 5th round talent, so moving to 4.18 to get him was worthwhile. He's not going to make an impact on the team, but he should make the team and put in a lot of work on Special Teams. I expect every player besides Leicester and Gaines to have an impact on this team.
Last edited by Murph on Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post by Murph »

Offseason trading.

- 1.23 for 2.1 and 2026 1st. We wanted CB Myron Alexander once he slid past most of the AI teams. I would also have taken Maxwell, who my scouts rated Underrated and Alexander was As Scouted. I felt Alexander was top 5 talent, so I was willing to pay a high price. While I don't think I'm going to have a high teen to early 20s pick next season, I think the overpayment was worth it IF Alexander lives up to his combine hype. If he does not, it was a bad gamble. If he does, unless I pick top 5 next season, I think it was a good gamble. If I'm in the top 5 draft position next year, it was a bad gamble even if he becomes a hall of famer. I am hoping that, with a custom playbook and more experience, I can win enough games to be better than most AI teams... Overall, I'm happy with this trade at this time.

- 4.18 for our 2026 4th. We tried to trade up in the 3rd round to get OLB Pappaliardo. He went at 3.20. I needed a Linebacker, and the best left was Leicester, so I tried to trade up again to get him before someone else did. His 4 blue combines plus decent bars (he is no Pappaliardo, unfortunately) made him a late 3rd, early 4th round value to me.
Last edited by Murph on Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Murph »

Oops. Big mistake for me. I was just testing my RBs to see if one of them would convert into a good WR... and I forgot to close out and restart the game. Ran my file and sent it in... now my 50ish RB is a 30ish WR!

I really need to go through my stuff when my wife isn't nagging me, LOL. This sucks.

Post by Murph »

First look at the new draftees.

1.1 QB Leon Wells. Best QB in the draft from my initial numbers at 19/58, 29% developed. He was VU, so I am hopeful those bars and that overall potential will rise. As is, at least we look like he could become a competent starter. If he develops properly and booms a little, could be our franchise guy.

1.23 CB Myron Alexander. Initial look makes him look like a good pickup considering what we gave up in the trade. 51/78. With him and Farr, I think we've got a pretty good tandem and strong supporting cast at CB... let's hope his numbers hold up.

3.1 G Tony Quinn. 21/66 looks great for a 3rd round pick. I hope I don't ruin him by moving him to center, but that's what I'm going to do. His size fits center much better than guard. He'll probably back up Shannon for a year as he learns from the mentor, and next season take over starting duties. We'll update here with his numbers at C.

4.1 C Gavin Sutter. 14/59 is nothing to sneeze at for a 4th round pick, so I'm not complaining. With Quinn's move to Center, I will move him to guard. He's a little light at 301, but I can hopefully shove a few extra steaks down his throat and get that weight up. Still better than Quinn at 284. We're stocked nicely at Guard right now, so he will have time to grow and develop. We hope he becomes a starter, but at worst, he should end up a solid backup.

4.18 OLB Ethan Leicester. 23/44. While his overall is OK for a mid 4th pick, not really happy with his bars. I felt he was the best available at the time, and I'll stick to it. I still wish I could have moved up in the 3rd to get Pappaliardo (24/59). But, he fills a hole in the roster which we needed, so he'll be with us a year or two at least.

5.1 FB Julian Peterson. 24/48. Came in much lower than I expected with the bars he seems to have. Not sure what to do at this point. May still follow through and move him to RB or I may see how he does in TC as a FB. Just not sure at this time.

6.1 P Marquis Tirman. 56/76 is a good start. Will he hold those numbers? That remains to be seen. Right now, he's the front runner for the punter job, but I'm not releasing his competition just yet...

7.1 RB Eric Gaines. 21/32. A little higher than I expected. Our scout said underrated, and his combines were great, so we'll see what happens to him. He has no special teams, so that could be what keeps him from making the team. Hoping he gets a good boost and makes the team. Always rooting for 7th round picks to become someone!

I'm happy with the initial numbers, especially Wells. I think the key is how well they hold their numbers. Leicester, Peterson, and Gaines have their work cut out for them.

Post by Murph »

Post training camp... Thoughts and movement.

Overall, becoming happier with the draft. Obviously, things are happening I'm not thrilled with, but my first 3 picks are all going to be starters, so I can't complain there. Wells will definitely start, giving him a chance to grow. Alexander is already my best CB. I'm up in the air about starting Quinn. I want him to grow, and I have a mentor to help him, but the mentor is a good player as well. We'll see what happens. I was hoping Sutter would look a little better at Guard than he does. But he'll be a very good backup or adequate starter in future years. I was hoping Leicester would have decent special teams. He is in a competition to make the team. Gaines is a pleasant surprise, and not sure about the future of Peterson and Tirman.

1.1 Wells +6/+1. He actually gained a point of potential, so that gives me hope for him.

1.23 Alexander +6/+1. He's looking very good as well.

3.1 C Quinn +6/+2. Moved him from Guard to Center. Looks like he made the move well.

4.1 G Sutter +2/-3. Not looking so good for Sutter. He still looks solid, but that small move in current and drop in potential worries me... a lot.

4.18 Leicester +3/-2. About what I expected for him. Not expecting a whole lot, and not getting it.

5.1 Peterson +5/-7. Had thoughts about moving him to RB. Still having those thoughts. Strong move in current keeps me thinking if it's worth it or not. I'm happy with Wagner at FB, but I'd like a FB with good special teams. Peterson is average at ST, losing a LOT in TC. Still better than Wagner, but not sure what I'll do here.

6.1 Tirman 0/-4. Terrible sign. I had high hopes for Tirman to become our new punter. FA pickup Springer went +4/+4... now it's a competition for punter...

7.1 Gaines +7/0. Not unhappy with him. Didn't lose potential, gained a good amount of current, and can play special teams. I think he's going to make the team and hang out a little, to see if he can get a volatility boost in the future.

How about other players? Let's look at some other rookie FAs and see what's going on with them...

- ILB Heath Monroe. +2/-6. Unless I trade an ILB, he's not making the team. Good pass rusher, but nothing else. I picked him up because he had 3 good combines, red in the forty.
- DT Corey Butler. +4/-1. He didn't do too badly in TC. But his run defense is underwhelming. He could be a decent pass rusher, but not great. He could make the team just because I don't have too many DTs.
- DE Demetrius Lyle. +3/-1. At 294, I was considering him to move to DT. His run defense isn't horrible, but he doesn't have many other skills. Unlikely he'll make the team. I may move him to DT to see if he can be better than Butler. I picked him up because he had 3 good combines.
- WR Kody Watkins. +3/-20. Picked him up for his special teams and PR, plus he looked to have good RR. RR gone, but still a good ST player. Might make the team with his special teams ability.
- TE Donovan Dishman. +3/-4. He doesn't look bad, but he won't be an asset to the running game. Enough receiving skills to give him a chance to make the team. We have 5 TEs, though, so he's got a lot of competition to get through.

Other notes.

I really thought WR Marty Farrell would move to WR better than he did. I made the mistake of changing him to check, then running the file and forgot about him. I may have just cost him a job and a career by doing that. Sucks because he was a good RB and 3rd down receiving back.

We've got several good position battles. What we need now is to trim the roster and start giving players a look to see how they perform.

Post by Murph »

PS2 was the worst thing that could happen to my team.

My QB of the future... dropped 21 points of future.
My 3rd year starting RDT took a volatility hit... Dropped -35/-38

Too sick to my stomach to go through the rest of the hits. I was feeling pretty good... now I'm depressed :)

Post by Jeremessiah »

Youch, 35 pt drop in current rating is definitely some harsh bad luck