Hamburg Wolves 2024

For Chatting about the WAFL2020 League
Murph

Hamburg Wolves 2024

Post by Murph »

We had a change of management after week 11, where we were 0-10.

Week 12 is a 27-26 loss to Boston. Seems we are a QB away from a win, with our team throwing 4 INT by the worst QB on our roster.

Re: Hamburg Wolves 2024

Post by Murph »

Several injuries last week forced us to make some changes to our roster. We put our top two WRs on IR, and picked up two free agent WRs. We also said goodbye to rookie 3rd string QB Greer for a rookie free agent Marco Schiff. Now that our roster is healthier, we can then fill up our active roster with our best, healthy players.

Week 13 was an OT win against the formerly 10-1 Dallas Outlaws, 29-23. It was an interesting game, as we allowed Dallas to come back to tie the game with a TD with 39 seconds left in the game. At the end of regulation, we came up 2 yards short from winning the game. I think we got lucky winning the coin toss in OT to get the ball first, and we marched down the field and scored to end the game. The way it's going, I think we can end up 5-11 if we can play at this level or higher the last 4 games of the season.

Honestly, I'm just happy to finally get a win!

Post by Murph »

Don't really know what's going on with my offensive gameplan. Most of it seemed to run as it was supposed to, but there were plays in there that I didn't put in there. For example, we ran 4 reverses in this game. I didn't have a reverse in my gameplan. With less than 2 minutes left in the 1st half, score tied, we got the ball back. We ran the ball. I didn't have a run play in my 2 minute drill... We ran several plays in regular down and distance situations out of 104 personnel. I didn't have any 4 or 5 receiver personnel groups in my gameplan except for the 2 minute drill. My defensive gameplan worked as created (but not as planned, haha).

Our running game was shit (except for 2 scrambles by QB Gaines and the 4 reverses... maybe I should add reverses to my arsenal). Passing game was iffy. Part of the problem is we don't have a good QB. Part of the problem is our offensive line (I think we had 3 or 4 passes knocked down at the line or by a blitzing player), and part was just dropped passes (6 in the game). I had one created play action pass that was run 3 times. Twice he dropped the pass and once it was knocked down at the line. I think we need to work on our offensive personnel next season. Get some better receivers (although our top two WRs are on IR, which hurts), and a good QB. And, we had bad luck... a fumble returned for a TD, and a kickoff return for a TD (or our special teams sucks... not sure which yet). Defense was the only thing that did OK. I wanted to stop the Anchorage running game, and we did. Unfortunately, we couldn't stop their passing game. We stopped their screen game, which, along with their running game, is the most dangerous part of their offense. But we got caught in too much man defense, and we got beat by several big plays (they were 3 for 3 on long passes). That's just my fault for bad gameplanning.

Overall, they were the better team, but I was at least hoping it wouldn't end up 40-16 blowout, but more like a 24-20 loss. Maybe next year :)

Post by Jeremessiah »

Super weird playcalling, especially with the reverses
Murph

Post by Murph »

I was reading the help file, and it says something about... a coordinator will adjust playcalling to his own style. I think that's what happened, but I think next season, with new coaching staff in place and a more personalized playbook that things will work out better. I tested a little in a SP league I created for testing, and it's happening there also. It all goes away if I have my own playbook... so I'm looking forward to next season very much.

I was thinking of getting into the OSFL as well, but I will wait until the offseason. I feel too much frustration taking over a team midseason.

On that note, it is time to begin rivalling our division rivals. It's unfortunate that, in the final week of the season, both teams vying for a playoff spot are in our division. Unfortunate for Cairo. We are guaranteeing victory over Cairo this week. So, if Istanbul can win their game, they will make the playoffs. The least we can do is tear out the heart from one of our rivals :) Good luck Istanbul!

Post by Jeremessiah »

It happened!~!!!!! thanks for the assist :)

EDIT - Oh wait, no it didn't but I made the playoffs anyways :ugeek:
Murph

Post by Murph »

Hahaha... I lost, you lost, but I was right in the end. Istanbul made the playoffs. Good job, glad I could help by guaranteeing something 🤣🤣🤣

Post by Murph »

Since that last guarantee didn't work out too well, I'll try again...

I guarantee that we win more games next season than this season :)